B9 - Weekend Dress*
Participants should have completed our Foundation Sewing Class. Drop us an email to find out more about the requirements of this class if you have not taken a class with us before.
Beginner Apparel - Weekend Dress
Always wanted to make your own clothes? No longer be daunted by the prospect of making your own clothes with the help of our instructors, ever-ready to provide you with the guidance you need.
Participants will learn to draft and sew a top or dress using gathers as a form of dart manipulation customised to their size. Participants can choose from a wrap dress, a v-neck top / dress, or a round neck top as design options.
Topics covered in the class include:
- Introduction to fabrics used in apparel
- Understanding seams, stitches and finishings that are commonly used on apparel
- Making a toile from a customised bodice block and evaluating fit
- Designing and constructing a top / dress using gathers as a form of dart manipulation and drafting it from a bodice block
- Drafting a set-in sleeve with a butterfly sleeve option
- Attaching set-in sleeves
- Sewing bias tape binding as a neckline finish
At the end of the course, you will understand the process of making a garment and be able to sew a garment that is customised to your size. Participants can continue their sewing journey to make the Formal Pants or Cheongsam Dress.
- $380 including equipment and tools; participants will be required to bring their own fabric
- We will email you the details on fabric needed for the class
- Sin Ming studio: Midview City, 24 Sin Ming Lane, #08-108, Singapore 573970
Commonwealth studio: Tanglin Halt Industrial Estate, 115A Commonwealth Drive, #04-05, Singapore 149596
- 3.5 hours x 4 sessions, held once a week over 4 weeks
Have questions on class registration or refunds? Read our FAQs here.