Apparel Class - Knit Dresses are Sew Fun*
- Students should have completed our Basic Apparel Class or Beginner Sewing Class (Parenthood is Sew Fun)
- $180 (dress pattern will be provided; fabric to be provided by participant)
- Pay $50 deposit upfront to confirm your place
- We will email you the options available for you to transfer the remaining course fee
- REGULAR classes: 3 hours x 3 sessions, held once a week over 3 weeks
- EXPRESS classes: 6 hours x 1.5 sessions, held once a week over 2 weeks
- Choose between 2 dress patterns: A knee-length wrap dress with sleeves or a princess seam dress with short sleeves or sleeveless options
Love wearing jersey but unsure of how to get started with sewing? Join our hands-on workshop and learn how to work with knit/jersey material to create an everyday dress. No longer be daunted by the prospect of making your own T-shirts and jersey dresses with the help of our instructors, ever-ready to provide you with the guidance you need.
Topics covered in the class include:
- Understanding and working with knit fabrics: How to choose the right fabric for different dress patterns, calculating Stretch Factor, identifying direction of stretch, cutting knit fabrics
- Simple pattern alteration for a knit dress pattern
- How to set up a domestic sewing machine to sew knit fabric
- Joining seams for knit material (stretchy stitch, zig-zag stitch, 4-thread serging)
- Using transparent elastic tape to stablise seams on knit fabric
- Hemming techniques for knit/jersey fabric such as twin needle top-stitching, binding using jersey binding tape, sewing a banded neckline
At the end of the workshop, you will understand the ins and outs of sewing with knit/jersey fabric and be able to sew your own knit dresses!
Have questions on registration or refunds? Read our FAQs here.