Apparel Class - Knit Dresses are Sew Fun*
- Students should have completed our Basic Apparel Class or Beginner Sewing Class (Parenthood is Sew Fun)
- $380 (top and dress patterns will be provided; fabric to be provided by participant)
- Pay $100 deposit upfront to confirm your place
- We will email you the options available for you to transfer the remaining course fee
- Sin Ming studio: Midview City, 24 Sin Ming Lane, #08-108, Singapore 573970
- Commonwealth studio: Tanglin Halt Industrial Estate, 115A Commonwealth Drive, #04-05, Singapore 149596
- REGULAR classes: 4 hours x 4 sessions (total 16 hours), held once a week over 4 weeks
- EXPRESS classes: 8 hours x 2 sessions (total 16 hours), held once a week over 2 weeks
- Students will learn to make a simple dropped shoulder blouse AND a dress
- Fabric for blouse will be provided
- Choose between 2 dress patterns: A knee-length wrap dress with sleeves or a casual outing dress with short sleeves and sleeveless options
- You will receive the soft-copy (.pdf) versions of the blouse pattern as well as the 2 dress patterns
Love wearing jersey but unsure of how to get started with sewing? Join our hands-on workshop and learn how to work with knit/jersey material to create an everyday dress. No longer be daunted by the prospect of making your own T-shirts and jersey dresses with the help of our instructors, ever-ready to provide you with the guidance you need.
Topics covered in the class include:
- Understanding and working with knit fabrics: How to choose the right fabric for different dress patterns, calculating Stretch Factor, identifying direction of stretch, cutting knit fabrics
- Simple pattern alteration for a knit dress pattern
- How to set up a domestic sewing machine to sew knit fabric
- Joining seams for knit material (stretchy stitch, zig-zag stitch, 4-thread serging)
- Using transparent elastic tape to stablise seams on knit fabric
- Hemming techniques for knit/jersey fabric such as twin needle top-stitching, binding using jersey binding tape, and sewing a banded neckline
At the end of the workshop, you will understand the ins and outs of sewing with jersey fabric and be able to sew your own knit dresses!
Have questions on registration or refunds? Read our FAQs here.