Basic Apparel Class
- $650 including all tools and some fabric
- Pay $100 deposit upfront to confirm your place
- We will email you the options available for you to transfer the remaining course fee
- SkillsFuture credit approved (View details)
- REGULAR classes: 4 hours x 8 sessions, held once a week over 8 weeks
- EXPRESS classes: 7.5 hours x 4 sessions, held once a week over 4 weeks, or twice a week over 2 weeks
- Students will learn to make a basic top/dress and casual pants customised to their size
Always wanted to make your own clothes? Join our Basic Apparel Class to learn basic dressmaking and pattern alteration by creating a basic top/dress and casual elastic drawstring pants. No longer be daunted by the prospect of making your own clothes with the help of our instructors, ever-ready to provide you with the guidance you need. This class includes a field trip to Chinatown for students to purchase fabric for their projects.
Topics covered in the class include:
- Taking individual body measurements
- Pattern alteration and drafting
- Introduction to fabrics used in apparel
- Understanding seams, stitches and finishings that are commonly used on apparel
- Sewing an elastic drawstring pants
- Making a toile from a customised bodice block and evaluating fit
- Designing a simple top/shift dress and drafting it from a bodice block
- Attaching zippers, facings, waistbands, and pockets
At the end of the workshop, you will understand the whole process of making a garment and be able to sew a garment that is customised to your size.
Have questions on registration, refunds, or SkillsFuture credits? Read our FAQs here.