- Participants should have completed our Beginner Apparel Class series.
- We welcome experienced sewists to join our knit dress class. Do take note that skillsets such as using a serger and sewing set-in sleeves are required pre-requisites for this class.
Intermediate Apparel - Knit Dresses are Sew Fun (Cut & Sew)
Love wearing jersey but unsure of how to get started with sewing? Join our hands-on workshop and learn how to work with knit/jersey material to create an everyday dress. No longer be daunted by the prospect of making your own T-shirts and jersey dresses with the help of our instructors, ever-ready to provide you with the guidance you need.
Participants will learn to make a simple dropped shoulder top AND a dress.
- Choose between 3 dress patterns: A knee-length wrap dress with sleeves, a princess seam dress, or a casual outing dress with short sleeves and sleeveless options
- Fabric for top will be provided
- You will receive the soft-copy (.pdf) versions of the top pattern as well as the dress pattern of your choice
Topics covered in the class include:
- Understanding and working with knit fabrics: How to choose the right fabric for different dress patterns, calculating Stretch Factor, identifying direction of stretch, cutting knit fabrics
- Simple pattern alteration for a knit dress pattern
- How to set up a domestic sewing machine to sew knit fabric
- Joining seams for knit material (stretchy stitch, zig-zag stitch, 4-thread serging)
- Using transparent elastic tape to stablise seams on knit fabric
- Hemming techniques for knit/jersey fabric such as twin needle top-stitching, binding using jersey binding tape, and sewing a banded neckline
At the end of the course, you will understand the ins and outs of sewing with jersey fabric and be able to sew your own knit dresses!
$380 includes top and dress patterns; participant will be required to bring their own fabric for the dress
- We will email you the details of fabric needed for the class
Sin Ming studio: Midview City, 24 Sin Ming Lane, #08-108, Singapore 573970
Commonwealth studio: Tanglin Halt Industrial Estate, 115A Commonwealth Drive, #04-05, Singapore 149596
- 3.5 hours x 4 sessions, held once a week over 4 weeks
Have questions on class registration or refunds? Read our FAQs here.